H.M. Government has published a set of guidelines for homeowners having work done during the coronavirus pandemic. It covers work carried out in homes for maintenance and home improvement. These guidelines aim to spell out some simple measures that can best ensure the safety of both the homeowner and the tradesperson.
Richard Harding and his team have reviewed these guidelines carefully, and we are satisfied that we can operate to them.
The government has published these guidelines in a one-page PDF format available at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/homes.
The guidelines encourage homeowners to liaise with the tradeperson in advance so that both parties can agree on how to minimise risk. Both parties need to assure themselves that neither party has symptoms of the virus. If there is anyone in the household who has been advised to shield, then only emergency and essential repairs can be undertaken - and additional safety measures are required (as detailed in the video and the PDF). A seven-point guide is set out, as follows:
- Clean surfaces around the working area and in ‘high traffic’ areas such as door handles with disinfectant before, during and after work is carried out.
- Keep internal doors open and minimise touching of door handles.
- If work is taking place in an area you use frequently, such as the stairs or kitchen, consider ways to avoid using that space when work takes place.
- Ask your tradesperson to bring their own mug, kettle or food and eat away from you, or in their van.
- Try to avoid too much face-to-face contact with those working in your home – ideally less than 15 minutes.
- Make sure any shared facilities, like toilets or kitchens, are thoroughly cleaned after each shift.
- Keep children or pets in other rooms while work is carried out, where possible.
Richard and his team are 100% committed to these measures and you can be completely confident in asking him and his team to carry out your heating and plumbing requirements during this extraordinarily difficult time. If you would like us to do plumbing and heating work in your home, please start by consulting the one-page PDF mentioned above.
For more information please call us on 01903 50 30 40 or contact us via our contact form.
Making Water and Gas work for you in the Shoreham, Lancing, Worthing and Littlehampton area